Friday 2 April 2021

Quick Stitch - Decorative Egg

 A universal symbol of new life, decorative eggs can be traced back thousands of years.  An egg shape feels most pleasing and in a Spring where signs of new beginnings feel really important, I have really enjoyed stitching these decorative eggs in Vintage Kimono silk fabric and embroidering with beautiful silk threads and glass beads.

For anyone who would like to make this Easter, the start is to cut 4 pattern pieces in your chosen fabrics.  I recommend using a lightweight fabric and backing with lightweight vilene to keep thin fabric stable and to assist stitching small seams - I have for sale in my haberdashery shop studio.

Then to pin two of the pieces together, having regard to any direction pattern on the pieces.  The fiddly bit is to then machine stitch as small a seam as possible along one side - I promise that this gets easier with practice!

It's best to clip the stitched seam along the curve - this helps to make a smooth rounded egg.  Repeat these stages with the other pair of pattern pieces.

Then to seam the 2 pairs of pattern pieces right sides together.  Do so completely along one long edge and before stitching the final seam, create a hanging cord and place upside down into the top of the egg construction - I plaited a few perle embrodery threads for mine.  Then machine stitch the top and bottom parts of the seam, leaving a gap for turning and stuffing.

Turn the construction through the gap and push out all the seam - you may need to add additional clips to make the seams smooth.  I stuffed my egg with wool stuffing, which I found made a very pleasing shape.  Polyester stuffing can also be used, however, you will likely need to work at evening out a few lumps and bumps.

After neatingly stitching the stuffing gap closed, then for the fun part of egg decoration.  I used a perle thread to add decorative embroidery stitches along the seams, avoiding pulling too tight to keep the seams smooth.  Here is are a few instructions for basic embroidery stitches.

Finally to add a few beautiful beads - I chose glass seed beads and hand stitched with nymo thread - this thread is important to ensure that the beads stay in place in the longer term.

It gave me great pleasure to share this project online this Easter with my online group and having done so a week before, there was time to make lovely Easter displays like this one made by Clare.  Making decorations is such a gentle and pleasurable way to mark this peaceful Spring celebration and I would be delighted to see any decorations that you go on to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment