Thursday 2 April 2020

Quick Stitch - Hopeful Heart

I consider myself to be in a hugely privileged position in a world that is awash with uncertainty.  I ask myself every day how to contribute at a time when the best thing that most of us can do is to remain alone.  The answer is the same every time, I must keep a hopeful heart and try where possible to help others to do likewise.  I'm certain that my tactics are being replicated by millions - I continue to be amazed every day by the creative activities of others.  In my attempt to keep active this week I have created this simple stitch project that can be made by anyone who just wants something to do with their fingers at a time when concentration is in short supply.


The project requires only my simple template, a couple of small pieces of fabric and a few embroidery threads.  Choose a fabric that your absolutely love for maximum impact, be it new or something that you have cut up.  I chose to work with beautiful Harris Tweed to remind me of my amazing visit to Harris & Lewis a few years ago.  To get going, I cut 2 large heart shapes and 2 small heart shapes in a contrasting fabric.  For anyone having access to a product like bondaweb, then this can be used for the smaller heart.


The construction starts by sticking the small heart on the bigger one - use any glue product that you have to hand to do this and will not stain the fabric.  Then I searched my threads box for a few toning hand embroidery threads - thin knitting yarns would also make a great alternative.


Then relax for a few moments and have a think about what hand embroidery stitches you would like to start with.  I started very simple and couched down a piece of wool around the smaller heart by over stitching.


Then I just kept making simple stitches to make for a pleasing design.  For anyone who has yet to try their hand at hand embroidery stitches, you may find my information on basic hand embroidery stitches helpful.


I found adding to my design as I went along very satisfying and I got a bit more adventurous as I settled into my embroidery session.  Take your time and savour the slow work with your hands - I find this so helpful as a means of slowing down my over active mind.


Then to the construction, by blanket stitching around the edge of the heart, leaving a gap on one side for filling.  I also plaited a hanging loop to be stitched in at the top centre.


The final step is to fill the heart with anything soft that you have to hand and then complete the edge stitching and stitch the filling gap closed.  My Hopeful Heart is now hanging where I will see it every day and be reminded that come what may, keeping faith is the best thing I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment