Monday 13 July 2015

Somerset Lavender

Named from the latin word 'lavere', lavender has been used over the past 2500 years in many different ways.  Healing wounds, warding of infection, airing laundry, bathing, mummification and seduction are just a few applications.  Queen Elizabeth I started the trend for lavender farms after taking lavender tea to treat frequent migraines.  Queen Victoria's passion for lavender was such that she appointed a 'Purveyor of Lavender Essence to the Queen'.  This started the trend for selling cut lavender and putting into small muslin bags to place in wardrobes, beds and on occasions, cleavage! 


When planning to make a few sachets of my own this summer, I knew exactly the place in Somerset to purchase my supplies - Somerset Lavender at Faulkland in East Somerset.  The sight I beheld on arriving was breath taking and as the aroma of lavender hit my senses I felt instantly calmed - yes truly.  What a joy to find 5 acres of lavender fields to freely walk around.  On a balmy summers afternoon, the scent, view and sound of humming bees was a real treat for the senses.   


Somerset Lavender has been in business for 9 years, following many years of dairy farming.  Disproving early sceptics, Somerset Lavender has become a thriving family business that brings pleasure on many levels.  They now have more than 50,000 plants and 20 varieties of lavender, many of which can be purchased on site at very reasonable prices.  Oh and the acoustics in the plant area located in a converted silage tank was yet another sensory pleasure!


Their well stocked onsite shop sells top quality lavender produce of all kinds and there is also a charming outdoor café with a view to the fields.  On a hot afternoon lavender ice cream and lemonade fitted the bill perfectly. 


Visiting Somerset Lavender has to be my most peaceful outings for collecting stitch supplies - ever!  Plus my stitch sessions that followed making up lavender sachets for Junior Stitch Workshops was equally restful.  If like me you love the smell of lavender and do not have your own, I highly recommend a trip sometime soon this summer.



No comments:

Post a Comment