Wednesday 25 December 2019

Somerset Willow Trees

I have always cherished being around trees.  The reassuring forms of all trees will forever provide peaceful havens and endless inspiration for my textile pictorial work.  Yet despite the grandeur of many British trees, it is the stumpy willow tree native to wetland areas that have become most endearing to me.   A pair of late winter willows on Somerset Levels 'Small Moor' were the subject for my last willows 'thread painting' on felted wool now be located in a new home, I am ready to start a new willow tree creation.


Taking photographs is often the starting point for my creativity and every once in a while I press the shutter knowing that I have captured an image of something that feels very special.  It is these impromptu captures that lead to a creative process with huge purpose and meaning for me and this capture of a hoar frost at Athelney this winter was one of those magical moments.


Ever impatient for the first signs of Spring each year, the structural branches of willow trees seem to remain bare long after other plant have burst into life.  I know, however, when I see this clever underplanting of willows on Curry Moor that the first shoots of green on their branches is close at hand.


Clouds of fresh green foliage will then finally appear at speed and the result is charming lanes and droves like this one at Oath near to Burrowbridge Mump.  The shade provided on the hottest of summer days makes for very pleasant walking and views of the Somerset Levels landscape that is often inaccessible in winter months.


Yet for all this prettiness, it is the return of soft autumn light and shedding of leaves that returns the wetlands willow to the fondly form that gives me most pleasure.  Until recently, I have often wondered at the strangeness of the appeal of trees that could easily be described as having a bad hair day!


An so the seasonal cycle completes and in most winters like this one, the Somerset levels will flood and I am treated to even more willow wonder!  I found this great vista at Greylake last week close to my home base; which on this particular day looked very different to its given name.


As is the case with this view of Greylake on the Winter Solstice.  On a day where darkness and light are in equal measure, this capture perfectly reflects the season.  And as I have also found this winter that it is a scene that my maternal ancestors would also have known well, albeit somewhat further North in and around Tewkesbury.  Perhaps after 10 years I have finally found a reason for my immense draw to the watery Somerset Levels landscape.


I send seasonal wishes to those who have been kind enough to read my willow whitterings, which could have been very much longer!  I very much hope that you too will be afforded a few of the immense joys that the power of nature has to offer just now.

2 comments: